On September 26, 1983, a Lieutenant Colonel in the Soviet army saved the world.
When the Oko nuclear-warning system erroneously reported an incoming barrage of American missiles, Stanislov Petrov chose not to alert his superiors, and averted the apocalypse. But what if he had made a different decision? Would civilization still exist? What would the world look like today?
Join the boys as they examine the uniquely human obsession with revising history, and take a journey down the "what if" rabbit hole.
Support the show by becoming a Midnight Minion, Menace, or Maniac, and unlock exclusive bonus content over at PATREON
Join the MFFI community and vote on episode topics via DISCORD
In this episode:
- The Roman Origins of Alternate History
- Titus Livius's Ab Urbe Condita
- Points of Divergence
- Chaos Theory
- The Butterfly Effect
- Edward Norton Lorenz
- "For Want of a Nail"
- Apocalyptic Futures
- Lieutenant Colonel Stanislov Petrov
- The Oko Warning System
- "Launch on Warning" Protocol
- Mutually Assured Destruction
- Northern Hemisphere Effects vs. Southern
- Little Ice Age vs. Nuclear Winter
- What if the North Hadn't Won the Civil War?
- Likelihood of a Northern Failure/Southern Stalemate
- Abraham Lincoln and the Election of 1864
- McClellan Negotiates a Ceasefire
- Lincoln's Legacy
- Slavery Continues
- Southern Decline
- Westward Expansion, Further Fragmentation
- WWI in America
Join the Midnight Masses!
Become an Insomniac by dropping a review, adding us on social media, and contacting us with episode ideas.
And we now have Midnight Merch! Show your Insomniac pride and pick up a tee shirt or coffee mug to spread the word!