For many of us, the word “Yakuza” conjures images of full-body tattoos and severed pinkies, but the actual legacy of organized crime in Japan is much more nuanced. Are members of the Yakuza modern-day Samurai, protectors of the common people, or just a bunch of stone-cold killers? Join Shane and Duncan for an exploration of Japan's most famous criminal organization.
In this episode:
- Yakuza: Good Samaritans?
- Nomenclature: Boryokudan vs Ninkyo Dantai
- Origins: Bakuto and Tekiya
- Hierarchy: Oyabun and Kobun
- Yubitsume (ritual amputation)
- Irezumi (ritual tattooing)
- The largest Yakuza clan: the Yamaguchi Gumi
- The infamous "Concrete-Encased High School Girl Murder Case"
- The Anti-Boryokudan acts
- ...and more
Join the Midnight Masses!
Become an Insomniac by dropping a review, adding us on social media, and contacting us with episode ideas.
And we now have Midnight Merch! Show your Insomniac pride and pick up a tee shirt or coffee mug to spread the word! https://teespring.com/stores/midnight-merch-6
Leave a voicemail or shoot us a text with comments, suggestions, or feedback:
+1 (408) 596-4603
Email with topic suggestions etc:
Shane's Comedy Schedule and Info:
~ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, AND SLEEP IS OVERRATED ~