Which famous foursome is considered the first punk band? What did CBGB stand for? In what city did punk originate? What was the wild television moment that made The Sex Pistols a household name?
From the first on-stage snarls to punk's final wheezing gasps, follow along with Shane and Duncan as they trace the rise and fall of punk music.
Support the show by becoming a Midnight Minion, Menace, or Maniac, and unlock exclusive bonus content over at PATREON
Join the MFFI community and vote on episode topics via DISCORD
In this episode:
- Redefining Rebellion
- The Evolution of Punk
- 60s Garage Rock: MC5 and the Kinks
- Iggy Pop and the Stooges, The New York Dolls
- 1970s Socioeconomics
- Hilly Kristal and CBGB
- Hillbilly Poetry
- Wayne County/Wayne Richards/Jane County
- The Revalons, Television, Patti Smith
- PUNK Magazine
- The Ramones
- Danny Fields and His Mom
- Malcolm McLaren, Vivian Westwood and SEX
- The Sex Pistols are Assembled
- Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious
- The Infamous Bill Grundy Show Meltdown
- The Sex Pistols Tour the American South
- The Demise of the Pistols
- Sid and Nancy
- Punk Factions: Hardcore, Political, Pop
- Political: The Dead Kennedys
- Hardcore: The Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat, the Germs
- Horror Punk: The Misfits
- Pop Punk: The Stiff Little Fingers, The Descendants, Bad Religion
- The Rise of Skate/Surf Punk: Offspring, NOFX, Green Day, Rancid
- Riot Grrrls: Bikini Kill, Buggy Bear, Slant 6, Bratmobile
- The Warped Tour and the Death of Rebellion
- Punk Goes Full Pop: Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance etc
Join the Midnight Masses!
Become an Insomniac by dropping a review, adding us on social media, and contacting us with episode ideas.
And we now have Midnight Merch! Show your Insomniac pride and pick up a tee shirt or coffee mug to spread the word!